The Blog Has Moved !

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Physics Olympiad & Astronomy and Astrophysics Olympiads concluded successfully

With a good preparation for the Olympiads, I had also applied for the both Olympiads this year. Since the both Olympiads were scheduled to be held on the 18th July, yesterday I went to the premises of the Physics Department of the University of Colombo.

This year there was a considerable participation for the Physics Olympiad. And I was very glad at that. The Physics Olympiad was started at 9:10 am local time after the introduction by the chief examiner, who was Dr. S R D Rosa.

Speaking about the Olympiad, I have to tell that the 2-hour paper was easier than expected. As per my experience last year, ( I sat for the Physics Olympiad in 2008 prior to my Advanced Level Exams) this year's paper was easy to deal with. There were 20 MCQs as usual together the 2 semi-structured questions. However I managed to answer them well as far as I'm concerned and I think most of the students also did, as per their body language at in the end of the Olympiad.

As soon as the Physics Olympiad was over, the Astronomy and Astrophysics exam started at about 11:30 am. Professor Chandana Jayaratne was conducting that and it also went fine. In this IYA 2009 this was the 3rd Astronomy & Astrophysics Olympiad that Sri Lanka held. However, as per the resources I received there had been a huge drawback of participation from the students, the overall number of candidates, sitting for the Olympiad being just 65, island wide.Physics Olympiad & Astronomy and Astrophysics Olympiads concluded successfully

If I talk about the Olympiad paper, I have to mention that the 20 MCQs were more innovative had left something think over for the candidate. The 5 Essay Questions we based on general facts of astronomy & Astrophysics in general. The exam was over at 1.00 pm after the Olympiad session of 1.5 hours was over.

It should be highlighted that Professor Chandana Jayaratne said in the end that there would be astronomy lessons included in the local Advanced Level syllabus, starting from the 2010, so that there could be a wider participation, next time. I'm also looking forward for that to happen ASAP.

1 Comments:

The results of various science olympiads such as Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics etc are given at http://zookeepersblog.wordpress.com/results-2009-science-olympiads/

Thanks and Regards
Subhashish Chattopadhyay